Business Predictions For 2020
Mar 29, 2011
Long range predictions are really quite easy. Rarely does anyone check up on you in ten years, and most of what you predict will not happen. Futurologists always predict the emergence of "space city" and what we actually get are cars that do two more miles per gallon. But it's necessary for a serious blogger to make predictions in order to add to one' s gravitas. So here we go...
1. Solar energy development will exponentially grow, according to futurist Ray Kurzweil. Solar Power capacity is now doubling every year to the point that we will be energy independent within 10 to 15 years. This should take care of Global Warming, clean water, and food shortages.
2. Middle East democracy will continue to spread in fits and starts. Iraq will stabilize and flourish, Afghanistan will regain the peace and prosperity it enjoyed for nearly three centuries prior to the Soviet invasion. Tourism, improbably, will flourish as aging boomers once again hit the hippie trail to Kabul – this time riding Harleys (three wheelers).
3. Audiovisual communication will become much more personal. Audio and video will be used as routinely for personal communication as text or images, requiring audiovisual production to become part of the school curriculum and a standard skill in the workplace. Better look into Video Blogging – your LinkedIn profile with ten connections is not going to cut it.
4. Smart phone technology will continue to grow rapidly, and shrink dramatically. Look soon for implantable devices that will reside on the eye. These upgrades will give you a number of options for visible information, flipping from thermal to night vision and back to ‘standard’ easily, as well as allowing for augmented reality (a scientific term for 24/7 advertising). The technology will be known as I-Glasses.
5. Women’s fashions will enjoy tremendous growth due to the continuous development of robotic manufacturing technology, which will allow for almost daily complete changes in fashion wardrobe featuring lots of silver metallic fabrics. Dramatic changes in men’s fashions will result in business suits with 1/2” wider lapels.
6. Enhanced Reality will create a new way of seeing and interacting with the world. Social networking applications will benefit from apps that will give you personal data ‘tags’ appearing over participating users. That way, as you stroll down the street, you may see someone who is also logged in and above them will be such ‘tweets’ as: “Going out for drinks!” LinkedIn users with less than 10 connections will be flagged for social exclusion.
7. More Americans will move to urban clusters – in part to share resources as cash starved boomers try to maintain living standards, dissolving suburbia and leading to outlying ghettos. Cities will grow rapidly.
8. Microsoft Windows technology will advance to the point that PCs and Laptops will be capable of starting within 5 seconds. (Ok… this one is really out there.)